TELL YOUR MOM I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO PAY HER, HAD THE RIMJOB BEEN OF HIGHER QUALITY

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Kaliedoscope

Is the entire LP any good? I've had the altogether great 'A Dream For Julie' on the second Nuggets box for quite awhile (dig the changes and the big bold vibrato on those chords) and before I cough up the cash for the entire record, even on the basis of an exceptionally strong song - I'd like some assurances that I won't be flushing my money down the toilet. I think a lot of it is how much I've been listening to the Zombie's superlative 'Odyssey and Oracle' as of late, and even if 'Time Of The Season' has me running full tilt boogie for the tonearm (so I don't have to endure that overplayed number that, through no fault of theirs I associate with baby boomer bullshit nostalgia fests) the rest of the record is pretty much perfect.

Want to get the LA Dusseldorf reishes, too, but I don't know if it's the krautrock where there are actual songs and you can actively listen to, rather then the passive textural sound workouts of say, Faust (who I like, but only put on as background sound for some other activity, instead of wanting to put on a CD-R and give to someone with a hearty endorsement) which is all well and good, but not what i'm in the mood for with my limited record buying dollar. Not to mention those import prices, which are ridiculous.

Also, did I mention already I saw the surprisingly tolerable 'Punk: The Attitude' documentary? I don't know if I did, but it's worth watching. In addition to the usual parade of footage and interview subjects, they get into No Wave and other stuff you wouldn't expect 'em to. Kids today have it easy, getting a really quick and easy history lesson like that. Some more quick impression? Their efforts at disguising the fact that they couldn't obtain the licensing for Nirvana are pretty hilarious. Glenn Branca is possibly the most annoying person in the entire cosmos. Their assertion that there was no notable punk rock from the No Wave era until Nirvana came along is, at best, dubious. Henry Rollins, is the last person that should be poking fun at shirtless macho jock types, and that lineage of the Velvet Underground leading up to mainstream acts like Blink 182 and other people that sound just like them shouldn't be seen as sad and tragic, but as an encouraging indication of how punk rock managed to seep into the mainstream (arguing what constitutes punk rock is a loosing battle, but I'd say with all certainty, that Blink 182, Green Day, and their ilk, are not punk rock in the way that I've define it). Anyway, despite my (exceptionally valid and insightful) criticisms, I'd suggest watching it.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home