TELL YOUR MOM I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO PAY HER, HAD THE RIMJOB BEEN OF HIGHER QUALITY

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Pink Reason

I am not one to go try and find new bands on MySpace. Just not my cup of tea. Sure, if a trusted associate or pretty girl tells me to check something out, I will. But randomly tramping through looking at burgeoning careerist's profiles? No thanks. My sense of irony hasn't been firing on all cylinders, and even though I am sure I could find a few bands that would make my idiot alarm go off with disturbing force, I just don't have the patience. So I'll just be passive, thank you.

Anyway, a reader recommended that I give Pink Reason (www.myspace.com/secondculture) a listen, and I went in expecting the typical thing. Y'know, three chord '77 jive or look Ma! I got a delay pedal! noise/art what-not. I got far from either, and lemme tell ya - I like it.

It's good stuff. The one that comes up first on my browser "Throw It Away", has a the same ramshackle, um, 'vibe' that early Royal Trux has, like you were lucky enough to walk into the best part of a two hour drone when everyone was hitting everything just right. The drum fills are subtle and great, the ominous guitar lines fit in snug. An evil howl of dark feedback vocals almost overpowers the song, before it lilts off into a meandering acoustic fade. I dig the relax crawl of the tempo; it's like the song instinctively knows it's good and doesn't have to go fast to impress anyone. 'New Violence' has some great echoed drums and nicely bizarre synth. It has a seat of the pants, semi improvised feel to it, and the deceptively simple little synth riffs are perfect in context, plodding organic blurps over the chime. 'Slate Train' lazily drifts on subtle synths and echoed percussion, like a far more calm track on the first Intelligence LP.

Here's hoping someone will make a Pink Reason LP. I would certainly purchase it.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home