TELL YOUR MOM I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO PAY HER, HAD THE RIMJOB BEEN OF HIGHER QUALITY

Friday, August 19, 2005

One Quick Thing

I really dig the new Time Flys record. Reminds me of the Black Lips, in the sense that just when you think a particular formula is in it's death throes (60's punk in the case of The Black Lips, '77 punk with a capital P in the case of the T.F.'s) along comes a band that makes you realize that you were completely wrong. It's kinda like what Pauline Kael said about 'The Wild Bunch' and the genre of the western, just instead of florid lines about wine bottles that look very clumsy when quoted, I'll just go the more pedestrian route and belch up a cliche: they breath life into the formula. Love the start/stop lurch of the songs and the dry, piercing treble of their guitar solos. Also, 'Oooga, oooga' is my favorite lyric in quite some time.

If their personal appearance wasn't so disturbing (very possibly, deliberately so), I would love to go out and see them. Maybe I will, but in any case, at least I have the record. I think I will listen to it often. I think I'm a little late on this endorsement, but I'd like to recommend it to you, dearest reader, just in case you were on the fence about purchasing it. Don't download it either, okay? Just purchase it.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home