TELL YOUR MOM I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO PAY HER, HAD THE RIMJOB BEEN OF HIGHER QUALITY

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Alex Chilton 'Bach's Bottom'

I like Alex Chilton, and he recorded two of my all time favorite records. Big Star's timeless 3rd record, and the majestic 'Like Flies On Sherbert'. Besides those LP's, his output gets kind of spotty. Box Tops are a rather impersonal, inconsistent effort, Big Star's '#1 Record' isn't as effective as the grand pop of 'Radio City', and for every solo triumph, there are dozens of second rate tracks. So, I was pretty wary about picking up 'Bach's Bottom', despite is being recorded in roughly the same period as 'Like Flies On Sherbert'. I was right, the record is slapdash affair, and despite being even more sloppy, it still feels more regimented then the far more enjoyable, (but still casual), 'Like Flies On Sherbert'. While Chilton deserves some of the blame, as his skull was pickled in a thick fog of drug and alcohol abuse, I would like to point an accusing finger at Jon Tiven. Tiven, in addition to being a lackluster writer, unimaginative musician, and likely a shitty human being; is truly a lousy fucking producer. The record is engineered like a radio jingle, along with some totally unnecessary overdubs. While the extemporaneous collaboration worked well on the later 'Sherbert' record, on 'Bach's Bottom' it's sounds like a half assed collection of outtakes. Maybe this record will grow on me, but right now I feel like burying it on the shelf.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home