TELL YOUR MOM I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO PAY HER, HAD THE RIMJOB BEEN OF HIGHER QUALITY

Thursday, October 14, 2004

The Real Kids

They don't suck, but I just don't see the big deal about the output of Hippie Johnny. The first record is, um, fine, and the other issued stuff is not slouch either. But I'm left scratching my head at words like 'genius', & 'brilliant' (overused words to begin with, along with the almost constant misuse of 'existential', and 'noir') I find The Real Kids pleasant, but never feel the urge to listen to 'em. In fact, I'll take The Revelons over them any day, who seem to take the whole, dare I say, 'pop' approach to puh-puh-punk much more successfully, with catchy melodies, inventive arrangements, and a whole toe-tapping, let's put that song on again! vibe that I don't get with those Bostoners. I also saw 'em (The Real Kids - whose name, to be obvious, is a little ironic these days) live a couple years ago, and do not remember a single detail about it, which doesn't speak well of the show.

I'll give you this though, 'Commons At Noon' or whatever the hell it's called, is a good song. But the first verse and chord change of '97 Tears', well, I'd rather just have that. The Taxi Boys? Had the record, gave it to a friend who would appreciate it much more then I.

And speaking of Boston, Mister Airplane Man are no great shakes. Like the echo & thud production on the first record, but then they went right down the toilet.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home